The US Space Force said on Monday that Elon Musk's SpaceX was granted approval to lease a second rocket launch complex at a military base in California, setting the space company up for its fifth launch site in the United States.
Under the lease, SpaceX will launch its workhorse Falcon rockets from Space Launch Complex-6 at Vandenberg Space Force Base, a military launch site north of Los Angeles where the space company operates another launchpad. It has two others in Florida and its private Starbase site in south Texas.
A Monday night Space Force statement said a letter of support for the decision was signed on Friday by Space Launch Delta 30 commander Col. Rob Long. The statement did not mention a duration of SpaceX's lease.
The new launch site, vacated last year by the Boeing-Lockheed joint venture United Launch Alliance, gives SpaceX more room to handle an increasingly busy launch schedule for commercial, government and internal satellite launches.
Vandenberg Space Force Base allows for launches in a southern trajectory over the Pacific ocean, which is often used for weather-monitoring, military or spy satellites that commonly rely on polar Earth orbits.
SpaceX's grant of Space Launch Complex-6 comes as rocket companies prepare to compete for the Pentagon's Phase 3 National Security Space Launch program, a watershed military launch procurement effort expected to begin in the next year or so.
US President Donald Trump announced late on Tuesday he was putting a three-day pause on new 50 per cent tariffs set to go into effect on Canadian goods at midnight, saying the two countries had reached a deal.
A coalition of US states suing Meta Platforms over claims Facebook and Instagram were designed in ways that harmed young users' mental health began making its case on Tuesday in California federal court in a trial that could reshape some of the most popular apps on the planet.
Nakheel, a member of Dubai Holding Real Estate, has begun handing over 892 homes at Jebel Ali Village, which is expected to be home to approximately 5,500 residents.
The Indian state of Maharashtra has suspended the licences of four Domino's outlets after reporting grease residue in pizza-making machines and insect infestations, the latest move in an intensifying crackdown by food regulators.
XRG, ADNOC’s international energy investment company, has announced its entry into Venezuela through the award of the offshore Loran licence, and the transfer of interest in the licence by PDVSA Gas.
The UAE's air defence systems detected a missile threat on Tuesday, with authorities advising the public to stay in a safe location and follow official channels for warnings and updates.