Cuomo accuser to give televised interview

AFP

A former assistant who filed a criminal complaint against New York Governor Andrew Cuomo last week for allegedly harassing her in the Executive Mansion in Albany will speak publicly for the first time in a televised interview to be broadcast on Monday, saying the governor "needs to be held accountable".

Brittany Commisso is one of 11 women Cuomo is accused of harassing, according to an investigative report released by the state attorney general's office last week.

Cuomo has thus far resisted widespread calls for his resignation, including from fellow Democrats such as President Joe Biden, but he could soon face impeachment and removal from office by state lawmakers.

Commisso, identified only as "executive assistant #1" in the report, told state investigators that Cuomo touched her inappropriately on more than one occasion.

Last week, she filed a criminal complaint with the Albany sheriff's office. The sheriff, Craig Apple, told reporters on Saturday his agency and the county district attorney's office would conduct a thorough investigation before determining whether a criminal charge is supported.

In an interview with CBS News and the Albany Times-Union that is scheduled to air on Monday morning, Commisso said she filed the report to hold Cuomo responsible for his actions.

"What he did to me was a crime," she said in an excerpt released by CBS on Sunday. "He broke the law."

Cuomo has denied any wrongdoing, though he has acknowledged that his efforts to be affectionate with people he encounters may have made some people uncomfortable.

His lawyer, Rita Glavin, told reporters on Friday that Commisso's account was fabricated, citing emails and other documentary evidence she said undermines her story.

More from International News

News

  • UAE denounces attack targeting Barakah plant

    The United Arab Emirates has condemned in the strongest terms the unprovoked attack targeting an electricity generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in Al Dhafra region, carried out by a drone that entered the country’s territory from the western border.

  • UAE condemns drone attacks targeting Saudi Arabia

    The UAE has strongly condemned the drone attacks targeting Saudi Arabia that were launched from Iraqi airspace and intercepted on Sunday.

  • Abdullah bin Zayed discusses Barakah drone strike with Arab FMs

    His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, has discussed the drone strike near the Barakah nuclear power plant with several Arab foreign ministers during a series of phone calls on Sunday.