New Zealand reports 83 local COVID-19 cases as Delta outbreak grows

File Picture

New Zealand reported 83 locally acquired cases on Sunday of the highly infectious Delta coronavirus variant, with Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern saying that some changes on how the outbreak is managed could be announced on Monday.

Ardern on Friday extended the lockdown for the country of 5.1 million until midnight on Tuesday, after which the restrictions were to ease slightly. Auckland, however, which is the epicentre of the outbreak was to remain locked down for longer

Ardern said her government was seeking more information on the spread of the infections.

"If we need to tighten up our restrictions further, we will," she told a televised briefing.

Of the Sunday cases, 82 were reported in Auckland, New Zealand's largest city, and the other was in the capital, Wellington.

New Zealanders had been living virtually virus-free and without curbs until the August outbreak. So far, the country has recorded just over 3,100 confirmed coronavirus cases since the start of the pandemic and 26 related deaths, according to the health ministry.

Of the current community cases, 34 people were in hospital and two of them in intensive care. Active community cases stand at 511, with 496 of them in Auckland.

"Having positive cases in our communities, along with the impact of lockdowns I know can be hugely unsettling, and that uncertainty can impact everyone's mental health," Ardern said, announcing additional financial resources for mental health and urging people to seek help.

"So, it's OK to feel overwhelmed, to feel upset, or even to feel frustrated because this situation is often all of those things." 

More from International News

News

  • UAE denounces attack targeting Barakah plant

    The United Arab Emirates has condemned in the strongest terms the unprovoked attack targeting an electricity generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in Al Dhafra region, carried out by a drone that entered the country’s territory from the western border.

  • Abdullah bin Zayed discusses Barakah drone strike with Arab FMs

    His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, has discussed the drone strike near the Barakah nuclear power plant with several Arab foreign ministers during a series of phone calls on Sunday.

  • UAE confirms Eid Al Adha to begin on May 27

    The UAE Fatwa Council has announced that Eid Al Adha will begin on Wednesday, May 27, after confirming the sighting of the Dhu al-Hijjah crescent moon on Sunday evening.