City 1016 is the Home of Fans! For the next two months we’ve got football fever!
You’ll get the chance to win giant LED TV’s to watch the big matches, you’ll win tickets to see the big games in person, plus we’re offering you access to the best places in town to watch the matches live.
City 1016 is the Home of Fans. Proudly powered by Hisense, Aster Pharmacy, Timehouse.store, First Abu Dhabi Bank, Expo City Dubai, Emarat and Emirates Draw.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The Middle East loves football, and this is the first time the region is hosting the most prestigious event. It’s also the first time it’s being played during the winter months.
- In 1930, Uruguay beat Argentina in the football final, 4-2. The United States finished third. It's taken place every four years since 1930 aside from 1942 and 1946, which were canceled due to World War II.
- If you count the stars on the team crests you'll see Brazil has won five times, in 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002). Italy and Germany are right behind with four each.
- The United States men's national team has never won the world’s biggest football competition, but the US women's national team has won four times. The furthest the men have got is to the semifinals in 1930 and the quarterfinals in 2002.
- Football is one of the oldest known sports known to humankind with records found dating over 2,000 years in China, as a sport called Cuju.. Greece, Rome, and parts of Central America have also made claim to have started this sport and with such a long history. Wherever the sport began, it’s now the biggest in the world and we’re set to support our favourite national teams as they compete on the world stage.
- England is the proud home of the world’s oldest Football Club. Sheffield Football Club or Sheffield F.C. The Football club was founded on the in 1857 making it 165 years old.
- Back in December of 1942, Stephan Stanis scored a staggering 16 goals for his side Racing Club de Lens. Not a single person, since then, has managed to break this bizarre record which now stands tall 80 years later!
- Argentinians are a goal-scoring machine, and Lionel Messi is the living proof of this. But what is an amazing football fact is that on the 26th of December 1998, , Ricardo Olivera made history by scoring a goal in mere 2.8 seconds.
- To put it into perspective, a normal human can speak 7.5 words in 3 seconds, “We have just had the kick-off,” is what the commentators must have just said and the scoreboard switched to 1-0.
- One of the most bizarre football facts is that there is an official football club with the most letters. The Dutch football club which is often called NAC Breda. The full name of this Football Club from the Netherlands consists of 83 letters.
- NAC Breda stands for, Nooit Opgeven Altijd Doorzetten Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning Combinatie Breda. Lets hope we never need to email them.
- The great Brazilian footballer Ronaldinho went on to become one of the best players the game of football has ever seen in the history of its existence. At the age of 13 years, the Brazilian footballer was part of a game where his local team won the game 23-0
- Almost two thirds of the footballs in use in the World comes from Pakistan? The world’s biggest brands produce their balls in Pakistan which has a great tradition of making high quality footballs.
- Football is considered as one of the most active sports. Did you know that on an average a footballer covers a distance of 11.2 kms in one 90 minute game.
- Only 2 countries in the world call Football, Soccer? The two countries are America and Canada.
- If in America, you talk about Football, they would take it as American Football, and similarly, in Canada with Canadian Football.