Egypt made a new proposal last week aimed at restoring the Gaza ceasefire deal, security sources said on Monday. The proposal follows an escalation in violence after Israel resumed air and ground operations against Hamas last Tuesday, effectively ending a two-month period of relative calm.
The Egyptian plan suggests Hamas release five Israeli hostages each week, with Israel implementing the second phase of the ceasefire after the first week, the sources said.
Both the US and Hamas agreed to the proposal, the security sources said, but Israel had not yet responded.
The sources said Egypt's proposal also includes a timeline for the release of all hostages in exchange for a timeline for Israel's full withdrawal from Gaza, backed by US guarantees.
Hamas has accused Israel of breaking the terms of the January ceasefire agreement but has said it is still willing to negotiate a ceasefire and was studying proposals from US President Donald Trump's special envoy, Steve Witkoff.

Global airlines race to fix A320 jets after Airbus recall
Death toll in Sri Lanka rises to 153 after Cyclone Ditwah
Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting
Vast Russian overnight attack on Ukraine kills two, wounds dozens
Indonesia flood death toll climbs to 303 amid cyclone devastation
