France will begin withdrawing its troops from coup-hit Niger this week after President Emmanuel Macron said last month he refused to be "held hostage" by the putchists and was ending military cooperation with the West African country.
The decision to pull 1,500 troops from Niger leaves a gaping hole in Western efforts to counter a decade-long insurgency. It also dealt a huge blow to French influence in the Sahel and could allow Russia to expand its sway over the region's vast, insecure scrublands.
In a statement on Thursday, the French Armed Forces Ministry said the troops would return to France and that the military exit should be complete by the end of the year.
Niger was the West's last key ally in the central Sahel region south of the Sahara Desert until a July 26 coup brought in a military junta that called for France to leave.
Macron also pulled his ambassador out of Niger.


Global airlines race to fix A320 jets after Airbus recall
Death toll in Sri Lanka rises to 153 after Cyclone Ditwah
Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze that killed 128 and counting
Vast Russian overnight attack on Ukraine kills two, wounds dozens
Indonesia flood death toll climbs to 303 amid cyclone devastation
