Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, will step in as the chairman of the COP28 Higher Committee.
That's according to the latest announcement by His Highness Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs, who noted that the formation of the Higher Committee reflects the UAE’s commitment to delivering a successful and inclusive COP28 that will advance critical climate negotiations.
Dr. Sultan bin Ahmed Al Jaber, Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology and UAE Special Envoy for Climate Change, will take on the role of Vice Chairman, with more ministers and officials from various national sectors forming the rest of the committee.
COP28 will be hosted at Expo City Dubai in November 2023.
The climate summit will also serve as a platform for the UAE to promote its view of climate action as an opportunity that drives sustainable economic and social development for all nations.
Members of the COP28 Higher Committee
- Mohamed Hadi Al Hussaini, Minister of State for Financial Affairs
- Reem bint Ibrahim Al Hashemy, Minister of State for International Cooperation
- Suhail bin Mohammed Al Mazrouei, Minister of Energy and Infrastructure
- Mariam bint Mohammed Almheiri, Minister of Climate Change and the Environment
- Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, Minister of State for Foreign Trade
- Shamma bint Suhail Al Mazrouei, Minister of State for Youth Affairs
- Muhammad Abdullah Al Junaibi, Chairman of the Federal Authority for Protocols and Strategic Narratives (FPSNA)
- Lieutenant General Abdullah Khalifa Al Marri, Commander-in-Chief of Dubai Police
- Lt. Gen. Talal Humaid Belhoul, Director-General of State Security Department at Dubai Police
- Major General Staff Pilot Faris Khalaf Al Mazrouei, Commander-in-Chief of the Abu Dhabi Police (ADP)
- Mattar Mohammed Al Tayer, Director-General, Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors of the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA)
- Rashid Saeed Al Ameri, Under-Secretary of the Ministry of Presidential Affairs
- Major General Khalifa Hareb Al Khaili, Under-Secretary of the Ministry of Interior
- Helal Saeed Almarri, Director-General of Dubai's Department of Economy and Tourism
- Saif Saeed Ghobash, Secretary-General of Abu Dhabi Executive Council
- Dr. Jamal Mohammed Al Hosani, representing the Supreme Council for National Security
More from Local News
Support budget doubled to help low-income Emirati families
A package of measures to help low-income Emirati families has been announced by President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nayhan.
UAE, US to boost money-laundering, terrorism cooperation
UAE officials have discussed increased cooperation with the US in countering money laundering and the financing of terrorism, on a visit to Washington DC.
After Tesla cabs, Dubai to trial electric bus
Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has inked a deal with Australian bus manufacturer BusTech Group to test the feasibility of operating an eco-friendly, zero-emission electric bus in Dubai's climate.
1,764 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE has confirmed 1,764 new cases of COVID-19 from 225,157 tests in the past 24 hours.
UAE's Ministry of Presidential Affairs renamed
President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has issued a federal decree to rename the Ministry of Presidential Affairs as the Presidential Court.
Investigation launched into Abu Dhabi building fire
Authorities in Abu Dhabi have launched an investigation into the cause of a fire that broke out at a residential building on Airport Road on Monday morning.
UAE field hospital begins operations in Afghanistan
The field hospital established by the UAE in areas affected by the earthquake in Afghanistan began operating after being equipped with specialised medical staff, equipment, and supplies.
Dubai announces Golden visas, scholarships for top students
His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai, has unveiled a new system to honour top high school students in public and private schools in the Emirate.
UAE's first analog astronaut completes 8-month mission
The UAE has created another milestone in space study, after the country’s first analog astronaut Saleh Al Ameri completed an eight-month isolation mission on Sunday.
Emirates flight lands safely in Brisbane despite damage to aircraft
An Emirates Airbus A380 safely landed at Brisbane International Airport after a tyre burst during takeoff damaged a "small portion of the aerodynamic fairing, which is an outer panel or the skin of the aircraft".
Tesla Model 3 to join Dubai Taxi fleet
Dubai will trial Tesla cars in its taxi fleet, with the first batch "deployed on 24-hour service to serve all events and hotspots across the emirate, especially in Dubai airports".
Dubai Taxi rides get costlier
Commuters in Dubai will have to pay more for their taxi rides from this month.
1,812 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE has confirmed 1,812 new cases of COVID-19 from 313,381 tests in the past 24 hours.
UAE leaders express condolences to Iran over quake victims
President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan expressed his condolences to Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi after a strong quake left five people dead and 44 others wounded in the country.
UAE sends three planes carrying aid to Afghanistan
The UAE has sent three planes carrying a 1,000sqm field hospital, which includes 75 beds and two operating rooms equipped with the latest medical supplies and devices, to offer relief to earthquake victims in Afghanistan.
20 Emirati female designers shine at the Jewels of Emirates Show
The 3rd edition of the Jewels of Emirates show, scheduled to run until July 3, displayed the works and innovations of 20 female Emirati designers inspired by UAE's heritage at the Expo Centre Sharjah.
UAE residents feel tremors after quake hits Iran
Several UAE residents evacuated their buildings and took to their social media accounts to report the earthquake that had its epicentre in Iran but rattled many parts of the Emirates early Saturday morning.
1,796 new COVID-19 cases in UAE
The UAE has confirmed 1,796 new cases of COVID-19 from 232,943 tests in the past 24 hours.
Tremors felt in UAE as 6.3-magnitude quake strikes Iran
An earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude struck southern Iran on Saturday early morning, rattling parts of the UAE.
UAE, Indonesia sign major trade agreement
The UAE and Indonesia have inked a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA).